Sponsored by: Strata Control Technology
SCT transition to new (Generation 4) instruments
In April, Rio Tinto released a statement voicing the need for mining lobby groups to adapt their policies in the face of a world increasingly rocked by the ill-effects of climate change. So how should lobby groups adapt to help reduce their environmental footprint, and what more needs to be done to make the mining industry a force for good? Scarlett Evans investigates.
Established in Wollongong, Australia in 1989, Strata Control Technology (SCT) has been providing specialist geotechnical consultancy and instrumentation services for 30 years. Operating both in Australia and globally, the company has built a reputation for technically robust, practical solutions to difficult mining and tunnelling problems.
Using a specialist development team of geotechnical engineers and instrumentation technicians, SCT has the unique ability to design, develop and build specialist geotechnical instrumentation in house for both routine and campaign geotechnical monitoring programs. Instrumentation development is also assisted through industry consultation and industry research programs.
More than half of the country’s coal mines are managed by pro-Russian separatist militia.Credit: DmyTo/Shutterstock.
More than half of the country’s coal mines are managed by pro-Russian separatist militia.
Following extensive development since 2015, SCT Operations is exited to release the new Generation 4 Rock-IT.
The Gen4 Rock-IT is a cost-effective extensometer that provides the ability to,
- Define the timing, location and magnitude of discrete strata failure in the roof, rib or floor across 4 varying horizons
- Characterise the roadway deformation mechanics
- Provide early indication to statutory officials and operators of changing roof conditions, thereby allowing early remedial action to be taken
- Measurement and monitoring provide the most reliable and effective basis for design and verification of strata control systems
Enhancements in the instrument design have led to improved product longevity and reliability through the development of;
- Ability to replace damaged or deteriorated visual reading indicators.
- Larger reading scales.
- Large displacement (150mm) capacity for all horizons.
- Improved water management on/through instrument to enhance readability.
- Remote monitoring. The Gen4 Rock-IT can be supplied with or easily retrofitted with a roofAlert node to allow for remote logging capabilities.
SCT has developed training and installation documentation for the Gen4 Rock-IT that can be accessed via the link below.
MORE INFORMATION: Please follow our links to the web-site to download brochures, installation guidelines on all SCT instrumentation. View Generation 4 Rock-IT information here.
SCT has worked in a wide range of coal, metal and civil operations globally where working in weak highly stress ground is the norm.
SCT uses a first principles approach to define the unique strata control hazards and design solutions for each project. Please follow the links below for SCT capabilities
AusProof is celebrating 25 years of business in Australia in 2019.
SCT invest heavily in research and development and continue to refine and develop our capabilities to reflect the challenges faced in mining and civil operations.